Monday, September 12, 2011

Charlotte's Web

For a while now, I have wanted to sit down with Lily and read a chapter book. When I was home back in December, I picked up a couple from my childhood to read with her. Book number one: Charlotte's Web. She loves animals and I thought it would be a great place to start.

It took us about 4 weeks to finish. Read about a chapter per day, skipping a few days trying to get into the routine of school. But it was a special time we spent together.

Did she comprehend it all or listen intently to every single word I read? Of course not. I think I probably read the book twice. But when it was over I googled a quiz and she did great on it! Guess she was paying attention more than I thought.

The near ending was a bit overwhelming. We had to read it three times for it to sink in. Then we took a break before finishing it. She went to her room and came back with a piece of paper.


Guess she really is using the pencil to express those feelings.

And after all the words were read, we celebrated by watching the movie!

Can't wait to do it again. I have the Little House series and I also picked up some classics from the Target Dollar spot a few weeks back.

What chapter books have you read/want to read with your kids?

4 comments:

Karla said...

We love to read big books like that to our kiddos, too! We've recently started reading Winnie The Pooh.

Mimi said...

Children are truly absorbing and learner earlier than in times past. My third grade teacher, Mrs. Richardson (can't believe I can remember that far back) read a chapter from Charlotte's Webb every day after lunch. Just think, Lily is already learning so quickly

Meredith Poe said...

Not reading chapter books but am literally watching the movie right now with Sarah.... that is just cool. Thanks for sharing..... looking forward to times like that with Sarah!

Bec said...

Jessie and I read the Little House series when she was 8 and still talk about it. For Emma's age I recommend Gooney Bird Green--not widely known but hilarious. It had Jess and me dancing the tango!