It's the last day of summer. It has flown by! Probably that new baby in the house making it seem that way. JD took the day off (he worked two weekends in a row) and we enjoyed some family time. He started the day making colored waffles with Lily. That is their special kitchen time together. They do it almost every weekend and had not the past two due to work. She gets to pick the color and they enjoy the one on one time together.
JD is a great pretender and can make my girl laugh. I, on the other hand, would rather read to her. Pretend is just not my thing. After breakfast those two creative imaginations hit the floor with Littlest Pet Shop and had a grand old time.
We had a couple of things to send to family and friends, so we colored and painted and shipped everything to those boys. (Crafting is another thing Mommy and Lily like to do together. I will take that over pretending any day!)
We got out and ran a few errands together and ended up back at home for a picnic in the living room. We moved all the furniture, spread out a blanket, and ate our hot meal on the floor. We bought fancy drinks and Daddy and I enjoyed them. Lily took a couple of sips and decided that she would rather have water. Oh, I wish I could say the same.
After dinner we took some time and prayed for Lily. We prayed for her heart and her friends and her to fall in love with Jesus. We prayed for her to love school and learning. I just cried. My little girl is growing up. This school year she is going to learn so much. It just hit me how much of a growing year Kindergarten is. I hope it goes by slowly. (Ha. We all know that won't happen.) Over the summer I have been convicted about how much more I need to pray for my children. I don't do it nearly enough--on my own or with them listening. I may not be able to make the right choices for her, but I can pray for her and encourage her to do so.
2 comments:
HA! I love it that you said pretend is just not my thing. I am totally the same way. I'm not good at pretend, and it makes me feel so guilty sometimes. I can read, I can color, I can do crafty stuff, I can do time in the kitchen, but pretend ... just not good at it!
love this sweet post and that time you carved out for her. i hate pretend too. hate it. i'll read and wrestle and stack blocks, but don't make me pretend!
Post a Comment