I had originally planned on starting school mid-August, but then I started planning. Books all over the place. And Lily was ready to start. The more I planned the more stressed I got. And therefore, we just decided to start early and ease into this thing slowly. By mid-August we will have quite a few days under our belts and can then hit it hard. "Better to be ahead than to fall behind, right?" -says the one who is always late.
I wanted to do something fun and exciting on the first day. Something other than our day in and day out routine. I went "pinteresting" and found lots of ideas for us homeschooling families. We opted for the big breakfast to start.
We got dressed and did our devotional and Bible reading for the day. Afterward, we went over the "class rules".
Next we got our "first day of school" picture.
The final part of our day, which took ALL day, was to create an "all about me" lapbook. We took a few breaks here and there, but she was a trooper and kept pushing herself to get it done.
Here is the finished product:
Front and Back covers
In the bottom right corner the statement is "I like my room because..." OCD??
Overall, it was an okay day. About halfway through the day we had to stop and have a heart to heart about homeschool and who was in charge. Sometimes we have to do things we don't like or don't want to do. We reviewed the "rules" and talked about which ones we were doing well and which ones needed some work. After the chat she was much better and respecting the teacher more.
We are both looking forward to diving into the curriculm next week!




3 comments:
YOU are going to be a great teacher for Emma! so proud of all your hard work and planning! Cant wait to hear all about it! GREAT JOB MOM
Sounds like a wonderful first day of school. Emma, you have such a GREAT teacher. You will love her. Hope that you will have a very happy school year and learn LOTS of things.
I am so glad you are documenting your homeschool adventures. We are planning to homeschool and are praying about when to officially start (since our's are still in diapers). I am excited to see how your journey goes!
Post a Comment