Saturday, December 3, 2011

It's a Date

Hey Folks--We have a guest blogger in the house!

Ever since KLee and I started talking about having kids, people began sharing words of wisdom about how to be the best parents we could be. One that stuck with me was 'be intentional'. Set aside time where it's just you and each child.

Lily and I have done that in the past with things like daddy/daughter dates but we have one standing appointment each week that I cherish greatly. In fact, we've been doing it so long now that I can't remember when it started. Probably as soon as she could stand on a chair. Anyway, every Saturday morning Lily and I get up (while mommy sleeps), and make waffles for breakfast.


When we started it, all I could think was 'no messes, please'. But as I relaxed and began letting her "help", that time together became more and more fun and more and more messy of course. One day we started adding mommy's food coloring to make colored waffles. Now a days Lily gets out everything she can reach, we both know the ingrediants and quantities by heart (thank you Bisquik), and she does most of it herself. Oh, we also have gotten more creative in our coloring effects.


I remember KLee sharing memories of sitting on the counter while her mom cooked and I love the idea of Lily sharing the memory of Waffles Saturday with her future family. Hopefully it will lead her to be intentional with her kids. I know I look forward to many more Saturdays with her. Pretty soon she'll me leading and Max will be helping...and mommy will still be sleeping...

1 comment:

Double Dees in SC said...

YAY for Mommy sleeping! Love your intentionality!