Monday, August 19, 2013

First Day of Home School

It's still hard to believe summer is over and the school year is upon us again. I had ordered our curriculum back in the spring in order to take advantage of a sale. But it's been sitting around and I never once looked at it over the summer. We were on break!

We started the day with Bible. So thankful for a husband who loves the Word and loves to teach our children!


We then ate a yummy big breakfast.


I then had her work on an all about me booklet that was much less complex compared to last years. I may alternate them each year because it was so fun last year. But it was a lot of work.


This year we hit the ground running. We still had what seemed like months of math to finish up before we can move on to level 2. But since we have a lot to cover this year and will be taking a break in Feb for a new baby, I knew we didn't have time for too much fluff.


This year we have a mobile, active 2 year old. Wow. I have lots of activities to plan for him as well to keep him occupied without being in front of the TV the entire day.


I'm not going to lie. This was one tough first day back. After so much fun and freedom and lack of schedule, going back was no fun. We promptly came up with a back to school contract to sign with what was expected of her. It doesn't help that there is a lot more work this year with the curriculum choices I made (listed at the bottom of this post). But, we will continue to work hard and work together to get this year underway and hopefully shorten the time each day we spend schooling. Six hours is not fun!

I did realize how I could absolutely not do this on my own. I do not have the patience. I have learned to get on my knees every day and ask the Lord to help me teach and to help her focus on her work. What a privilege it is to be her teacher, but more so to be a child of the Most High who can intervene when I am lacking in my teaching abilities. He can give me patience when I have none left to give. And He can allow me to love when I am beyond frustrated.

Thankful for 179 more days to get better at this homeschooling thing this year!

Picture time!!


Curriculum Choices for 2nd grade:

Bible-Sonlight Core B-Leading Little Ones to God and various missionary story books
History-Sonlight Core B-Intro to World History-creation to fall of Roman Empire
Read Alouds/Poetry-Sonlight Core B
Reading-I originally planned Drawn Into the Heart of Reading, but will be using Progeny Press materials that I already have on hand.
Spelling-All About Spelling Level 1
Grammar-Shurley English, Level 2
Handwriting-A Reason for Handwriting, Cursive
Math-Horizons, finishing Level 1 then Level 2
Science-Sonlight Science B

No comments: