Schooling is going well so far. We have learned a lot. We have read Genesis through Numbers (via a kid friendly Bible story book) studying the Patriarchs, the Exodus, and we are now waiting on the Israelites to enter the Promised Land.
We have also learned about ancient Egyptians, Romans, Greeks, Vikings, Knights, and Chinese. We have discussed how they live, what they wear, what they eat, and how they travel. We have also talked a lot about the early missionaries in Europe.
She is learning to tolerate her handwriting with the use of colored pencils. We are finished with the letter review and diving into her actual curriculum now. Hopefully she will enjoy that even more.
Math has been lots of review and pretty easy for her so far. The calendar and understanding that each month of the year has a different number of days doesn't make sense (indeed), but we will be reviewing that fact more as the year progresses. We have taken a break from the curriculum to drill, drill, and drill addition facts. She hasn't quite picked up that it is just memorization and is trying to over analyze it. But for the most part (minus all the flash cards) she enjoys math.
Daddy helps her sometimes when Mommy doesn't explain it well enough.
Language arts is not an easy subject for Mommy and Daddy. Therefore teaching it has been even harder. Especially when the curriculum is not detailed with the 'how' to teach. I also feel like it is all over the map with concepts--apostrophes, compound sentences, possession, plural, descriptive writing. All random order, with minimal, if any, explanation. So, I put a plea out on Facebook for help and decided to keep going with what I have, but add in a phonics workbook, a grammar curriculum, and have her read more to me from books already on our shelves. And now I feel like she is learning more.
To drive home some of the spelling/sight words, we play games.
We both love reading the chapter books together. We have read The Boxcar Children, My Father's Dragon, Dolphin Adventure, Johnny Appleseed, and currently Here's a Penny. We read Beezus and Ramona over the summer and that is still her favorite.
We do have recess on occasion too.
And a playground buddy.
Now, back to class. Science is by far her favorite part of the day. She has learned about the Earth's rotation and revolution, all kinds of weather, basics of plants, and different climates around the world. Each Friday (or whatever day we get to the end of the week's curriculum) there is an experiment. She made a weather vane,
a tornado,
We have overall had a great first two months of homeschooling. I enjoy spending time with my bestest girl. I have to remember that all of the positives of spending the day with her outweigh the piles of laundry, ring around the toilet, and lack of "me" time. God has been faithful to provide time just when I need it to accomplish the tasks before me. I am thankful for this journey He has me on and pray that I will be continue to be faithful to Him as long as He desires.
No comments:
Post a Comment